As the temp goes up, so does your air conditioning bills. To keep your air conditioning costs under control you may be asking yourself, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Menomonie and western Wisconsin?
It’s a popular belief that turning your air conditioner on and off throughout the day is wasteful. This is actually a misconception.
Keeping your air conditioner on all the time means you’re not using it very efficiently. We advise setting your thermostat higher when you’re out, and lowering it when you return. You can accomplish this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat is able to do the job for you.
It’s significantly more taxing for your system to stay at the same setting throughout the day. It can also cause a lot of strain on your system, since it’s frequently turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your utility bills, it may also lead to a shorter life expectancy for your AC.
No matter what, the larger the difference between your indoor temperature and the outside temperature, the more your energy costs will be. So, what can you do to keep cool and keep your energy bills down in the warm weather? Here are our suggestions based upon recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Methods to Boost Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Adjust Your Temperature. The DOE affirms that you can save up to 10% annually on heating and cooling by raising your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re out of the house. In the summer, it’s suggested to position your thermostat at 78 degrees at the time you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re elsewhere. It’s additionally important to forgo setting your thermostat to a colder setting than average when you turn on your AC. This doesn’t actually cool down your house any faster, it just results in higher utility costs. While these temperatures may seem toasty, there are many approaches to keep cool without having to constantly run the AC unit.
- Take Advantage of Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says increasing the thermostat by just 2 degrees and turning on your ceiling fan can decrease energy by up to 14% over the course of the warm months. It’s important to remember that fans cool people, not areas. So, when you exit the room, turn the fan off to conserve energy. Also, keeping blinds down and curtains closed throughout the day helps keep conditioned air inside. There are also some window solutions meant to deliver added insulation and boost energy efficiency.
- Effectively Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky openings all around a house allow for cooler air to quickly get out and warm air to get within. This could lead to your AC equipment having to work harder to keep your home comfortable and your utility bills to skyrocket. Check that any gaps, doors and windows are suitably sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are simple fixes for leaks or drafts close to windows and doors.
- Schedule Annual Tune-Ups. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance ensures your AC is always performing at its most efficient. This lets our pro to locate little issues before they turn into substantial problems. A clean AC is typically more efficient and could even live for a longer period of time.
- Invest in a Smart Thermostat. One of the greatest methods to guarantee comfort and cost-effectiveness is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat instinctively changes the temperature based on your day-to-day schedule. It works along with your smartphone to notice when you’re home or gone to maximize your energy savings. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could possibly save you about $180 per year on energy expenses.
- Consider Replacing Your AC. You can foresee an adequately taken care of air conditioner to live for 15-20 years. But if you’re frequently needing us for air conditioning repair or your utility expenses are climbing with no change in thermostat settings, it may be time for a new system. We offer a number of energy-efficient air conditioners, like ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without trading comfort.
Enhance Your Home’s Energy Efficiency with Halverson Brothers Inc
No one wants to see their air conditioning bill rise during the warm months. If you’re looking for more ways to keep your energy usage and bills down this summer, our professionals can help. Reach us at 715-352-4052 or contact us online today for more info.