Everyone has to deal with a clogged drain at one point or another. It’s a common if not irritating problem that can pop up anywhere throughout your plumbing. Depending on where, you might not know how serious a clog is. It can make it tougher to know when it’s time to hire a plumber in Menomonie and western Wisconsin.
You may be able to discover for yourself how bad the clog is. Check the closest drains or listen for bizarre sounds coming from your pipes. These might be signs pointing to where the clog is. When you find it, you’ll have to figure out if you should call a plumber or not. The following info may help you decide.
When Does a Clog Need a Pro Plumber?
There are a variety of things that affect the seriousness of a clog in the plumbing. The info you have about a potential clog could lead a Halverson Brothers Inc plumber to its source sooner.
- Where is it? One of the most important aspects of a clog is where in your plumbing it appeared. Most of your home’s pipes are in difficult-to-access places like behind walls and under floors. Some clogs may need professional equipment to reach in the first place.
- Can water flow? If the pipes are still draining, you may be able to resolve the clog on your own. But if a fixture or appliance is totally backed up, it’s generally safer for a licensed plumber to take a look.
- What formed the clog? Some substances can have a greater effect on your plumbing. Simple organic waste like coffee or hair is unpleasant but typically easy to flush out on your own. Other materials like sewage can be much more complex (and maybe even risky). Resolving these clogs will need more steps and the experience of a pro.
Where Can Clogs Form in My Plumbing System?
Unfortunately, there aren’t many places in your plumbing clogs can’t form. We depend on our plumbing for so many things like cleaning, cooking and laundry. A clog can start near the appliances and fixtures we use or within the pipes themselves.
- Bathroom Clogs: Your toilet, sink and shower can all clog. If your bathroom drain is clogged, the culprit is usually hair. Taking care of a clogged sink drain, clogged tub drain or clogged shower drain can be as straightforward as removing the clogged hair. It’s fast, if a little gross. Other times, a hair-clogged drain can result in a clogged drain deep in the pipe. In this instance, you may have to find professional help.
- Kitchen Clogs: Your kitchen sink and dishwasher are the most common places for a clog to appear. Is your kitchen drain clogged? Use the garbage disposal properly to be certain food waste doesn’t collect. But if the disposal itself is clogged, don’t reach into it! The blades can cause injury.
- Laundry and Clogs. Plumbing close to the washing machine can clog, particularly if lint traps aren’t working like they would usually. Other washing machine clogs can be formed from laundry soap and grease stains on clothes.
How to Clear a Clogged Drain
If it’s a small clog, you may be able to handle the problem by yourself. Unclogging doesn’t always need special equipment. In fact, sometimes it’s as straightforward as grabbing the plunger. Here are some tips for DIY drain maintenance!
- Mesh or mindfulness goes a long way. Using mesh filters or other traps for sink drains can keep foreign materials out of your plumbing. Keep an eye on what you’re bringing to your kitchen or bathroom sink. If it’s something that can clog, try to safely break it down.
- Know what shouldn’t be flushed. Things like baby wipes, cooking grease and potato peels aren’t supposed to be in the drain. Dispose of them properly to keep your plumbing in the best possible condition.
- Always try your trusty plunger. Even if a leak seems bad, your plunger is a simple and efficient tool. Give your plunger a go before you hire professional help.
- Other home remedies can help. Did you know there’s a clogged drain home remedy? You can try to unclog your drain with baking soda and vinegar. We don’t advise using store-bought liquid drain openers, since these toxic chemicals can negatively affect your pipes.
Tried these tips but still have a problem? Call us at 715-352-4052 for quick and affordable drain cleaning in Menomonie and western Wisconsin.
Call Halverson Brothers Inc for Fast and Effective Plumbers in Menomonie and western Wisconsin
Keeping your home’s plumbing in good condition is important to everyone at Halverson Brothers Inc. Our plumbers are devoted to providing you with the best plumbing service in Menomonie and western Wisconsin. If you need quality drain cleaning services, we’ve got you covered.
We have the tools and training to get the job done right. For pro plumbing services, call Halverson Brothers Inc today. Get in touch to request more info or to schedule an appointment. Call us today at 715-352-4052!