On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how regularly your air filter has been swapped out, to name some—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Halverson Brothers Inc in Menomonie and western Wisconsin about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the timeline between expert cleanings.
Above all, arrange annual HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Halverson Brothers Inc. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating efficiently, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Halverson Brothers Inc about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters habitually and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will show dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not demand changing.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that permit dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Menomonie and western Wisconsin home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Halverson Brothers Inc a call at 715-352-4052.