Summer weather in Menomonie and western Wisconsin can be brutal. But you don’t have to make a choice between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve assembled some tips to make it easy.
The top thing you can do to stay comfortable and maintain energy efficiency is by maintaining your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® suggests keeping your system running reliably and efficiently, and Halverson Brothers Inc is able to help. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks suggested by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to be sure there’s safe operation of your system and the chance of a longer lifecycle for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as need be. Dirty coils require your system to work more often to do its job.
- Check system controls to make sure of accurate and safe operation.
- Look at refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to be sure of correct system airflow.
Another crucial piece to staying cool is consistently looking at your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter may raise energy costs and damage your equipment, which could lead to early failure. Our Halverson Brothers Inc experts will inspect these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to take a look at the manufacturer’s recommendations to set up your own schedule to swap them out.
Here are some other tips to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient:
- Inspect thermostat settings to make sure your air conditioner keeps you cool when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
- If you find yourself cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the crisp air cool your house for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to hold on to the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Utilize fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a little higher than you regularly would without noticing any changes in your comfort level.
- Another kind of fan people often forget about when they’re attempting to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make certain to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to get rid of the heat and humidity from your bathroom.
- Try not to leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven are adding heat into your home, but even normal activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can boost the heat in your home.
If you’d like extra ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Halverson Brothers Inc at call at 715-352-4052 or request an appointment with us online.