You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thing you think is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re destined to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a few things you can take a look at, as well as a few things you can do, to stay ready and have a plan for a situation like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Frigid nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly morning.
- Pull together supplies. Find some room in a closet, drawer or another easy to access area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you toasty while your furnace isn’t working. It might seem bothersome or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Operating:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace may have been tripped by a power surge or for another reason. If this happens, switch the breaker back on and you could be set. If the breaker is turned off and you have switched it back on but your furnace still isn’t working, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Add layers and get cozy. That load of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you preserve body heat so you can stay comfortable while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find something to do to keep your blood pumping, as increased activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose possible danger depending on the method you’re choosing. It’s important to remember to never use heating methods created for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your best bets.
No one wants to put up with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has stopped working, but the possibility is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the pros at Halverson Brothers Inc a call at 715-352-4052 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services provided or any other number of heating questions.